The Canal Sur flamenco talent show, Mi primer olé, which is specifically for children, had its Gala Final yesterday. The programme first broadcast at the beginning of July this year featured seven dancers, four singers and three guitarists, aged between 8 and 15, who were selected from 300 applicants from all over Andalucia.
Here is María Espinosa singing Romero Verde, a bulerías, by Lole and Manuel:
The Finalists were all excellent:
* Fermín Fernández performing a garrotín;
* Aitana de los Reyes, Ana Almagro, Naomi Patiño and Lole de los Reyes performing a tangos;
* ‘Verde que te quiero verde’: María Espinosa, Coraima Santiago and Beatriz Romero performing a rumba;
* Juan Tomás de la Molía performing a bulería por soleá;
* Sebastián Soler and Fermín Fernández performing a sevillanas de Camarón;
* Beatriz Romero performing a guajira:
* Aitana de los Reyes performing an alegrías;
* Sebastián Soler performing a bulería ‘Alfileres de colores’ by Miguel Poveda:
* Lole de los Reyes performing a tangos.
The first part of the Gala Finals were held last week. The guest performers were the renowned flamenco dancers Farruquito and his 12-year-old brother Manuel Fernández Montoya, ‘El Carpeta’.
The children were each expected to present two performances, and there have been four teachers involved with the programme to give them advice on their performances. The other advisors for the programme were: dancers Matilde Coral and Lola Greco, the singer and composer David de María and the producer Ricardo Pachón. The programme is presented by Pastora Soler, a singer from Seville.
© 2010 Thérèse Wassily Saba